Wednesday, November 19, 2008

6h du matin

I can't go back to sleep.
We've been going to as many museums as we can stand since Dave got here. This November is apparently the month of photography, so we saw a Walker Evans exhibit and a couple of days ago went to a really, really great show of 70s American Photography at the BNF. Yesterday afternoon we hit the Pompidou Center. I had forgotten how huge that place is. We saw a special exhibit on Futurism, but after that we were too exhausted to really take in anything else. I dragged Dave through the rest of the rooms anyway to make our 12euros last.
Tonight we're going to try to see if Wes Anderson and Peter Bogdonovich are actually having a public conversation after the showing of "Royal Tennenbaums."

People often ask me if I have weird food cravings. And my answer is no. I love eating, so I crave food -- but not in any unheard of combinations, or at strange moments of the day. In fact, my eating habits are so normal (perhaps with slightly larger portions) that I was getting worried that my pregnancy was not "as pregnant" as it's supposed to be. Until I realized that maybe I do have cravings. Yesterday I sat thinking about donuts for a while. And just now I had a yearning for pumpkin pie -- or maybe just for Thanksgiving dishes in general. Of course, this could have nothing to do with being pregnant and everything to do with missing American food. But what's strange is -- I mean, like Twilight Zone weird -- is that I, as you may know, love nachos (esp. from La Cabana in Santa Cruz). And I miss them, theoretically, but I haven't craved them like I craved that donut yesterday. So maybe everything really is okay.

Oops, I think I just induced a nachos craving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just nostalgically telling David the other day (at CabaƱa, no less) about your deep and abiding love of nachos. I'm glad to see it slowly creeping back ... it would be so sad if you just started eating tacos and burritos like the rest of us boring fools.

So, did Wes A. & Co. show? Was he sporting one of his famed hip and natty (ah, natty ... ) suits? Is he boring? Someone told me this once, but I think the suits speak otherwise.

clear screen said...

Wes was wearing a brown courdoroy suit. Bogdonavich was wearing his usual ascot. Their conversation was pretty boring. I don't know if it's their fault, or that having a spontaneous conversation about whatever in front of 100 people and a translator just doesn't work that well.

Unknown said...

Bums. But thumbs up for the corduroy suit. Maybe we should just keep the focus on fashion ... you know, where it belongs.