Saturday, November 08, 2008

While I wait . . .

. . .for D. to get his ass over here, I've using my time to make some progress on the dissertation. I am both impatient wanting D. to be here NOW and worried that I won't have enough time to actually get anything substantial done.
So, I've been going to libraries. Not to read their books, because I've decided to forget the goal of working on my French chapter. But to get out of the house and work somewhere "studious." I go to the Bibliotheque Ste. Genvieve, which is gorgeous inside but doesn't have free wi-fi (or at least not that I can tell). I also visit the Bibliotheque Forney, which seriously looks like a castle (and very well may be) and has free wi-fi (that doesn't work that well).
Yeah, it's been good jumping from library to library. I get there early and stay for three to four hours -- which I think is a good chunk of time for my brain to be thinking and my hands to be typing. Then I make my way home. Today I left the Bib. Forney and strolled along the Seine toward the Metro at Hôtel de Ville. There's some Jacques Prévert exhibition going on there that is apparently very popular. Which reminds me of all the things I want to do when D. gets here. I think the first thing we'll do is go to the Walker Evans Expo at the Henri Cartier Bresson museum. It's free on Wednesday nights starting at 6:30pm.

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

I max out at three hours at the BNF, too. I think anything north of two counts as being a dutiful grad student, don't you?

Becky said...

You must be dying to see D. Have fun!