Monday, August 18, 2008

Faubourg St. Martin

In Paris, one finds that certain trades are located in particular neighborhoods. You may be walking down the street and notice that every storefront you're passing is selling the exact same product. Today I walked down Rue du Temple, after an exhausting search for who knows what at BHV, and noticed that all the stores sold bijoux. Mostly, these stores are wholesale dealers (but why the storefronts?), but it looked like individual consumers would drop in to maybe get a deal. (I'm just guessing, I really have no idea how all this works.)
The neighborhood I live in claims a particular trade. Children's clothing. Yesterday I told D there seemed to be like 15 stores in a row that sold kid's clothes. Today I realized there must be at least double that number. So many! It is as if I the gods needed to firmly and constantly remind me of my current "condition" and provide me with a sartorial vision of my future.
Unfortunately, the clothes aren't that cute.

No comments: