Wednesday, September 13, 2006

beach blanket babylon

now that we're all up-to-date, I can indulge in the right-here.
In between reading books aimlessly, worrying about the beginning of a new quarter, and writing -- very slooowly, too slow for mama pak -- thank you cards, i've been working on a baby blanket for my sister-in-law. she's due next month. now, here's what it looks like so far:


i know, i'm still a novice. but not a totally inept one . . . except for this glaring error which i made at the beginning of the project:


how, oh anonymous knitter, do i solve the problem of the dangling threads? I, as you can see, eventually discovered the art of "intarsia," but I'm sadly left with these few unattractive (totally novice, ick!) loose ends.

3 comments:

geobrarian said...

Hi there. La Critika sent me your way re. knitting advice. I'm not sure where/when I learned this, but one of my golden rules is never tie a knot. Instead, leave a long end and weave into the backside with a regular needle (one with an eye). As the blanket gets used and washed, the "woven" end will eventually "dred" (for lack of better word) into the fabric. Does this make sense?

Hope this helps.

geobrarian

clear screen said...

that helps, i think. so, i just sew it into the blanket, sneaky-like, and then leave it alone?

geobrarian said...

yes, kind of weave in and out of the stitches (hard on a blanket since there's not usually an official "backside") and that's it. just make sure the thread is at least a few inches long.

good luck