Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sleeping and Eating

I got my new "banquette/clic clac" which looks like a normal (denim blue) sofa but *pouf* clics itself into a bed for my sleeping comfort. And it is comfortable. Enough. For the time being. Which is all I care about.

As for eating . . . for some reason last weekend I decided to take myself out for meals whenever the fancy struck me. I went back to Le Reveil du Xeme and again had a delightful meal -- a mashed potato/fish dish. On Saturday -- before and after the Juliet Mitchell lecture at Le Musée de l'Homme -- I breezed my way through restaurants spending money I really shouldn't have. But Kristina and I went for a really nice dinner up in Montmartre at a cute little bar/resto. I got pasta bolognese -- which I was scolded for, since I can apparently make such a thing at home -- but I order what the baby demands. And he loves pasta. (and mashed potatoes. and probably nachoes if such a thing existed here.)
So, in an effort to make up all that money I spent on meals last weekend, I've been going to the "Restaurants Universitaire" (aka RestoU) -- a series of cafeterias for college students. It costs a mere 2e85 and you get a healthy, square meal which includes a crudité, a main dish, and a cheese or yogurt course/or a dessert tart. And a free piece of bread. Not bad. The only drawback is that everyone is sooo young, and I just feel like a lame, old pregnant lady eating a cheap meal. Who cares, right? I don't really, not for that price! But I think after my penance this week, I might re-consider.

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

No no no. You are a rad, young pregnant lady eating a cheap meal. The French kids can sense it, too.

~~~ said...

totally rad.

Becky said...

Cool! I always remember reading about those places in guidebooks, like Let's Go, but I didn't know if they actually existed. Many things in guidebooks seem mythical.