Monday, May 14, 2007

Seduction

D and I have no real idea what we're going to do next. And in order to figure that out, there's a lot that needs to be done. Resumes need to be drafted and sent. And even before that, jobs need to be available and appealing. I write in the passive voice, you see, because we have yet to actually do anything.

But in one of our more curious moments we decided to look at the real estate listings in St. Louis, MO. We've done this before, in a past when we had more liberty to consider wild, fantastical options. But recently, we had brushed StL aside as inconvenient and, simply, no longer on the table.

Then, I came across a house -- a simple, imperfect, vinyl-sided house -- in the best neighborhood, the neighborhood that, if I ever were to move back to my hometown would be the ideal place to live. And the house is nothing! $104, 000. Nothing! So I asked my dad last night if he would check it out, do a drive by if ever he found himself nearby. Which of course he did early this morning and promptly emailed me his report. It sounded so nice, he talked to a couple of neighbors who were out and about at seven in the morning: a "diverse" neighborhood, but safe enough for the seven single women who lived on the block, just yards away from a "stately" park, the park in which I had to take softball lessons as a kid.

Sigh. It just might not be feasible, though. Who are we? Certainly not home-owners.

1 comment:

~~~ said...

I know just what you should do next. Drive to LA this weekend! Mike's going to Berkeley to present something at some art conference and I'll be here, drinking alone. I'll give you the bed! We can see feminist art! You can look at the burned hills!