Monday, May 28, 2007

scared of the dark

D + I went backpacking and camping at Henry Coe State Park -- which lies between San Jose and Gilroy just south of Santa Cruz. Sadly, we are nature wimps.
The hike to the campsite was downhill, which sounds easy. But for some reason, the decline really pissed me off. After the initial disappointment of our secluded site by the swimming hole -- which turned out to be a very pleasant spot, just not what dave romantically envisioned -- we found ourselves with loads of sunlight left and nothing to do. We tried swimming (too cold), reading (not focused enough), playing a stupid connect the dots game i used to play in church to make the sermon go by faster (really boring).
Then, at last, the sun set. But it wasn't to my relief, cause i'm scared of the dark in the woods. Thankfully Dave narrated stories he had recently read (a really depressing Flannery O'Conner story) and movies he had seen without me (Old Joy), which calmed me down and helped fall asleep.
And we woke up, and we were happy -- it was quiet and foggy and really pleasant out. Our ascent back into civilization was grueling -- my legs are still killing me -- but we ended up having a nice time. Though I don't think i want to do it again anytime soon.

No comments: